The organisation J-Flag of Jamaica is organising a symposium with the topic of personhood, sexual citizenship and religion in the days before the International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia.
The event will be held in Kingston on Friday, May 16th from 10:00 to 13:00. The symposium aims to facilitate discussion on the contexts of citizenship of Jamaica (sexual), the place of LGBT people in Jamaica today and the way to a more inclusive Jamaica.
Its objectives are:
- To highlight the struggles and strides made by J-FLAG in making Jamaica the place of choice for LGBT persons to live, work, raise families, and do business.
- To dispel misconceptions about the LGBT community with the support of research.
- To explore the layers of homophobia experienced by LGBT people.
- To provide national coverage of an evidence-based dialogue on sexual identity and gender expression.
- To improve the public’s understanding of the unique challenges faced by LGBT Christians.
For more details on the event please visit the following link. The Jamaica Forum for Lesbians, Gays and Bisexuals holds the vision to advance, in a spirit of unity, love, dignity and respect, towards Jamaica, and the world free from prejudice, injustice, discrimination and oppression. For more information visit their website, follow them on Twitter or visit their Facebook