- Local Network for the Prevention of Discrimination: “Together Against Discrimination”; May 16 from 12 p.m. a street action: sharing promo materials to raise awareness of a cause and campaign @ Trg Slobode, Novi Sad; May 17 from 11 a.m. – 1 a.m. a permofmance “I am also here” and a live library for students and youth @ Institute for Student Health Care, Novi Sad, Vojvodina
- Local Network for the Prevention of Discrimination: “Pančevo Against Discrimination”; May 17 from 12 p.m.: a press conference and a promotion of the Action Plan of the City of Pančevo for the Prevention and Protection from Discrimination for 2017 – 2020
- Local Network for the Prevention of Discrimination: “Niš against discrimination”; May 17 from 12 p.m. @ Jeronimova 2, Niš: a public debate and tree planting event at the city fortress
- Labris and Local Network for the Prevention of Discrimination: “Belgrade Against Homophobia and Transphobia” a street action: sharing promo materials and balloon release to raise awareness of a cause and campaign; May 17 from 12 p.m. @ Trg Republike/Knez Mihajlova, Belgrade; May 17 at 16:00 p.m. story telling event – representatives of institutions (Ministry of Interior, prosecutor’s office, city administration and others) will read life stories of LGBT people @ City Assembly of Belgrade, Dragoslava Jovanovića 2, Belgrade
- Local Network for the Prevention of Discrimination: “Together against discrimination”; May 17 from 12 p.m., a street action: sharing promo materials to raise awareness of a cause and campaign @ Trg slobode, near the City Hall, Kragujevac; May 17 from 5:00 p.m. a living library performed @ Hotel Kragujevac, Kragujevac
- Local Network for the Prevention of Discrimination: “Novi Pazar against discrimination” – a conference on reducing discrimination; May 17 from 1:00 p.m. @ Cultural Center, Novi Pazar
- Local Network for the Prevention of Discrimination: ” Subotica against homophobia” – video messages sent out on May 17 to support for local LGBT community @ online
- Gay Straight Alliance: Annual Rainbow Award “Duga” for contribution to the fight against homophobia and transpohobia; May 17 at 12:00 p.m. @ Ceremonial hall of Belgrade City Hall, Dragoslava Jovanovića 2 (main entrance), Belgrade
- LGBT Serbia: Protest Against the Violence; May 17 from 12:00 p.m. @ Majke Jevrosime 33, Belgrade
- Da se zna and FemSlam: Between two fires – fundraising dodgeball game for hate-crime victims’ psychological support fund; May 17 from 6:oo p.m. @ Trg Repubike, Beograd
Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia marked in Serbia
International Day Against Homophobia and Transphobia was marked in seven Serbian cities for the first time with synchronized events.
They were organized by Labris, state institutions and local civil society organizations, Beta reported, citing to a press release issued by Labris.
It said that this was the first time Novi Sad, Nis, Subotica, Pancevo, Novi Pazar and Kragujevac joined Belgrade in observing this day by organizing public action to call attention to the position of LGBT people.
All seven cities have local networks for preventing discrimination of and supporting LGBT persons, the organizers said.
These local networks consist of LGBT organizations and representatives of police, prosecutor’s offices, city administrations, social welfare centers as equal participants. They monitor and react to instances of discrimination of this minority group.
“For the first time this year, we’re marking International Day Against Homophobia with public actions outside Belgrade,” said Labris representative Jelena Vasiljevic.
According to her, this shows the strength and influence of local networks in those cities, helps dispel prejudice and improve the position of LGBT people.